Friday, December 19, 2008
Gifts of Service
Today I worked for 6 hours in the "Christmas House". Mom's wait in line early in the morning to get a number so they can go shopping. Then as volunteers we walk around and help them select stocking stuffers, large and small gifts, hats, gloves, used clothes, new clothes and finally one house hold item. (Flannel sheets were very popular) The first woman I helped was 7 month's pregnant and I pushed her around in a wheel chair. What a beautiful, humbling experience to watch her careful shopping. They come in looking very tired and discouraged. I am amazed at the joy a new coat can bring. I helped several moms from the Ukraine and my heart was very close to Clint. Another mom, wearing a colorful scarf on her head was a very serious shopper. She had 12 children. Boots were high on her list for her 5 oldest daughters. We were fortunate to find a bike for her 9 year old son. She left with 3 bags of miracles for her family this year. There were several families that only spoke Spanish. I could have used Lindsey's help! My heart was touched and my testimony strengthened as I pondered the Savior's love and sacrifice. I wish I could have tucked a Book of Mormon in each bag. Bruce, Lloyd and Clint you shared something that lasts,-- the gospel of Jesus Christ. You all inspire me! The church is true!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks for your wonderful example of service this season. They couldn't do all that without the hands to help deliver the gifts. I hope you will never forget how much those hands of yours are capable of doing for others. We love you.
Post a Comment